Here comes the sun, do-do-do-doooo. It’s almost Spring! With the sun being out (even though only a little bit in Seattle awww), I wanted to make these cute sun catchers. They’re really easy to make, and I didn’t have to buy anything, everything was on hand! You may need help cutting the outline on the inside, but other than that it’s super easy.
- Wax paper
- Tissue paper – any color! If you don’t have the right colors, you can use a marker to color it and you get the same effect. I recommend 2+ colors of tissue paper.
- Mod Podge
- Outline of shape – to find this, just look up “*Shape* outline”. In this case, I typed “shamrock outline” and “leprechaun hat outline”.
- Hole puncher
- Embroidery thread/yarn
- Cut off a square of wax paper larger than your shape. Make sure you can lay the outline down on the wax paper and have at least an inch on any side.
- Cut/tear a LOT of small pieces of tissue paper in whatever shape your heart desires. You want a snazzy little star? Do it! Also, I used some small pieces of ribbon. It’s not see through but still looks really pretty!
- Spread a layer of mod podge on your wax paper using the brush. Spread tissue paper across, making sure it sticks. Add a couple layers of this until all the wax paper is covered with only small gaps between the tissue paper!
- Spread another layer of mod podge and stick on your outline. Once that layer is dry, add one more layer on top of it all to seal!
- Once the mod podge has dried, cut out your shape around the outline and stare in awe at the amazingness you designed.
- Use your hole puncher and make a small hole towards the top. Loop your thread through the hole and tie it. Hang your creation in a window and voila!
You can tape these up without the string or hang them off something. Enjoy!